My summer fitness goals are turning out the way I want them to 🙂 which is always always s good thing. Been going to they gym 4-5 days a week and incorporating alot of weight lifting. The high intensity workouts also help with the weight loss. Some examples of my high intensity workouts are:
- Sprint intervals, jogging for 1 minute and sprinting fast for 30-45 seconds,
- Walking up stairs and then running up them
- 30 second air squats, 30 second jumping jacks-30 second pushups, 30 seconds jumping lunges.
Alot of the high intensity workouts helps to speed the heart rate and burns fat. I have noticed that my runs have improved drastically since I have been doing the high intensity workouts.
I am getting ready for another half marathon next month and a full marathon in October. I really think that doing other workouts besides running (Cross training) helps get you in better shape for the run.
Benefits of Crosstraining
- Reduces exercise boredom
- Allows you to be flexible about you training needs and plans (if the pool is closed, you can go for a run instead).
- Produces a higher level of all around conditioning
- Conditions the entire body, not just specific muscle groups
- Reduces the risk of injury
- Can continue to train while injured
- Improves your skill, agility and balance
Exercises that make up a good cross training routine?
Cardiovascular Exercise (Think about adding three different exercises from the list below):
Skating (inline or ice)
Racquetball / basketball / other court sports
Calisthenics (push ups and crunches and pull ups)
Tubing and Bands
Flexibility (stretching, yoga)
Speed, agility, and balance drills
Circuit training, sprinting, plyometrics and other forms of skill conditioning
Maintain a proper nutrition regimen and try some of these workouts today and improve your running, and overall endurance!
Thanks for reading -LJAY HEALTH